Sunday, November 29, 2015

TURMERIC MILK

A winter warmer


When I've been running errands outdoors all day, and I’m chilled to the bones because the hint of morning sunlight deceived me in to dressing inappropriately for the day ahead, I like nothing better than to curl up by the fire in my thermals when I return home; an added bonus would be a hot drink but I’m not really a tea or coffee drinker, so what’s my usual alternative? Maybe a hot chocolate if I have some cacao powder, but more recently it’s been Turmeric Milk - in my opinion, a delicious warming and comforting combination of hot milk and the boldly coloured spice, turmeric.

Turmeric’s active ingredient, curcumin, has been hyped for its anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties and although many studies have investigated turmeric/curcumin, and some have shown promise, at this point these findings aren’t good enough evidence to suggest that consuming turmeric improves any health condition. I use the spice in my cooking and even some of my smoothies because of the earthy, spicy flavour it gives my recipes. Being a lover of milk and milky products, turmeric milk is one of the few favourite hot drinks I enjoy at this time of year and, if you’re interested, you can too!

Dutiful Disclaimer: be careful, the turmeric can stain!

                                    ********************************************
WHAT I USED
-A large cup of milk (the choice of milk is up to you, but I opted for cows milk on this occasion -  you could try my almond milk)
-1 heaped teaspoon of turmeric spice
-½ teaspoon of coconut oil
-½  teaspoon of honey
-Cinammon/cinnamon stick
-1 Bay leaf


WHAT I DID
-Add the milk to a small saucepan and then add the oil, turmeric, cinnamon and bay leaf and bring to a light boil.

-Whisk gently to combine the ingredients and then reduce the heat and allow to simmer for about 10-15 minutes until hot – apparently the longer you simmer, the more intense the flavour tends to be

-Pour the milk into your favourite mug or cup, add the honey to sweeten and grab a few nuts and dates to nibble on

-Turn on the fire, find a thick blanket, get a good book, look out through the rain splashed window and then sink into your sofa whilst you slurp on the warming goodness!






Later x

11 comments:

  1. Good evening Colleen! Oh thats so interesting to know, Im very curious about turmeric, to be honest I never tasted it so Im just wondered how it could be made in this way with hot mild. Definitely, it is the best way to warm up in a cold day, something Id need right now before sleeping! The photos made the idea of a cosy and relaxing mood at home in front of the fire and with the blanket, just amazing! Many kisses Colleen, have a great week ahead and happy Dec! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do find it quite comforting and relaxing after a long day! x

      Delete
  2. Hello, dear Colleen! Well, milk for me only if "disguised", in ice creams, caked, yoghurt. But this recipe does look great and I would give it a try! I never had turmeric in any dish, let alone a drink, but I am open to new ideas, always! I think it looks so nice, and I loved the photos! Hope you have a very nice week!
    DenisesPlanet.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aaaaw bless you, a lot of people don't like milk actually, but turmeric can be use in lots of cooked dishes x

      Delete
  3. Wow Turmerlic Milk?! i never heard about this. But sounds very delicious. At the cold season i like hot drinks like Tea or chocolate milk. My favorite hot drink at the moment is Chai Latte or Chili-Chocolate Milk. But what also keeps my body warm is Eggs Punch, homemade!! Love it. ;)
    Dear Colleen wish you a fantastic first Advent-Week. Cla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Homemade eggs punch, now that sounds interesting! yum x

      Delete
  4. you know i keep meaning to make this - i love turmeric and i try to add it in foods somehow - mayonaise or salad dressing the only thing i can sneak it in here and there but never tried it this way. I might do it instead of hot chocolate because so much sugar before bed ain't good! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much sugar at any time aint good but I do love me a good hot chocolate x

      Delete
  5. I wonder if it looses much if I do it without honey (I'm allergic to it)
    thanks for sharing!

    Lyosha
    Inside and Outside Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lyosha, the honey is completely optional. I've seen some recipes use black pepper, but I'm not keen on pepper. The milk and turmeric are the main ingredients and then I guess the rest is down to personal preference. Enjoy if you try it!

      Delete
  6. It reminds me of this saffron-coloured drink I used to have in India. I'm sure they used turmeric. I'm trying to recall the name. It was very creamy. I do like Chai with milk. Had the best in India. I just buy a ready-made one here. Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Hey....I'd love to see your comments, and given one of my pastimes is reading other people's blogs, I'd love for you to leave your URL if you have one too. Later xx