Sunday, January 10, 2016

COURGETTE CANNELLONI WITH PESTO

a meat-free favourite


I’ll admit, between the morning of Christmas Eve and the evening of Boxing Day, I indulged in quite a meat feast, well I say feast, I just mean I ate significantly more red meat that week than I usually would. My auntie’s puff pastry home-made sausage rolls and my mum’s honey glazed gammon, which included trimmings of pigs in blanket, were just irresistibly yummy.

Whilst there is no need to embark on a detox diet to rid your body of toxins - move over green juice diet we have a liver, kidneys and skin to do this - I did feel like I needed to give my body a bit of a rest from the red meat overload and I’m certain I exceeded the recommended weekly limit in those 3 days, so I decided to have a completely meat-free week the following week. I searched for ideas and stumbled on oodles of meat-free recipes, which I will share with you throughout the year (one of my health goals is to draw more inspiration from plant-based menus/recipes), but for now I thought I’d post about my courgette cannelloni with pesto, which was adapted from a recipe by nutritionist and chef, AKA ‘The Medicinal Chef’, Dale Pinnock.

If you like tomato-based dishes, you’ll love this! It ticks all the boxes regarding flavour, ease appeal and health, and it also offers an alternative for vegetarians and those who are wheat/gluten free or just prefer not to eat pasta – for me I’m just a curious foodie and recipe tester who loves tomatoes and has developed a relatively recent liking for home-made pesto and courgettes!

*************************************



What I Did
*Slice the courgettes (1cm thick) and griddle them on a hot griddle pan with a drop of oil until golden

*For the sauce, saute the onions and garlic until soft. Add the pine nuts and fry for a further couple of minutes.  Add the passata and some basil and simmer for 15 minutes

*While the sauce is simmering, place the pesto ingredients in a food processor and pulse until coarse. 

*Place a dollop of pesto in the centre of the courgette strip and roll, and then place in the oven for a few minutes

*Once the sauce is heated through, pour into a pasta bowl (of course it doesn't have to be a pasta bowl) and place the courgette cannelloni on top. Sprinkle some additional parmesan over your deliciously created dish.







Later x

10 comments:

  1. Good evening Colleen! Mmmm, Im so watering and Im almost ready to go to bed, wish I tried them right now! First of all, u did well to indulge in a meat feast if u feel it, Im vegetarian as u know but I believe that is good to satisfy our desires sometimes, as for me are more treats, especially during holidays:P The recipe seems very tasty and for a huge pesto and courgette lover as me, is just flawless, well done! Have a great week ahead Colleen, hugs! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lilli, it's only very recently I've got into pesto myself x

      Delete
  2. you made it look so pretty too! i like this sort of tasty food and january is just calling for a hearty dish like this. I might have it with fish too. I don't eat that much meat anyway. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree fish would be delicious with this too!

      Delete
  3. Dear Colleen. I think i have to block you. Everytimes your make me mouth-watering. ;) This recipe soundy healthy and the fotos looks so delicious. After all my eating during the christmas day, i need also more vegetable and fruit. My body screamed about healthy and light food. Be sure i will try this recipe.

    Wish you a very nice week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha nooo don't block me, but thank you!

      Delete
  4. Dear Colleen, due to the fact I'm not the huge meat eater I must say that I would definitely prefer what you show here in comparsion to the meat you had on Christmas :) In fact this recipe is really my taste and therefore I most try it out as soon as possible! Hope you had a wonderful start of 2016!
    xx from Bavaria/Germany, Rena
    International Time-Related Giveaway: Bad News and More
    www.dressedwithsoul.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes this dish was a refreshing change from all the meat I had consumed! Thanks Rena.

      Delete
  5. THAT! That right there is the perfect comfort food for me! Looks delicious :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Courgette and Cannelloni together, wow! I agree with Naomi, I'll have it with fish. I try not to eat as much meat as before. I'm about to have lunch and will have courgette 'pasta'. It's one vegetable I can devour. I like this recipe. Thanks for sharing Colleen x

    ReplyDelete

Hey....I'd love to see your comments, and given one of my pastimes is reading other people's blogs, I'd love for you to leave your URL if you have one too. Later xx