Sunday, March 06, 2016

FOOD OF THE WEEK

Merchant Gourmet’s Quinoa, Grains and Red Rice Mix


What a busy couple of weeks (hence the absence of last week’s post - apologies), but I can’t complain, I’d rather be frantically busy than mind numbingly bored. One of the ‘excuses’ my nutrition clients often give for not being consistent with their efforts to maintain a healthy lifestyle is time pressure – being too busy to think about eating healthily and exercising regularly.

Planning is one of those behavioural strategies that really does make a difference when it comes to healthy living, and I’m a firm believer in the old adage, ‘if you fail to plan, you plan to fail’. I even recommend planning most of your meals for the week ahead so that those time pressures don’t lead you astray to that convenient pizza or Chinese take-out too often. Consider cooking some of your meals in bulk and putting them in the fridge or freezer so that you essentially have your own home-made ready meals available when you get home after a long day of grafting.

I’m not against buying pre-prepared ready-meals and convenience food, they have their place when time is not on your side or you simply can’t be bothered to cook, but taking the time to have a quick scan of the food label to ensure you’re opting for a healthier option is always encouraged. I stumbled on this Merchant Gourmet’s Quinoa, Grains and Red Rice Mix in my local supermarket the other day and it has come in very handy, particularly for lunch and the occasional dinner. It’s high in fibre, a source of protein, low in sugar, salt and saturated fat, and relatively low in calories– tick tick tick tick! I just throw some fish or chicken (pre-cooked or homemade leftovers) on top with some spinach leaves or kale, a good glug of olive oil and some generous splashes of lemon juice and my meal is ready within 5 minutes – 6 minutes if you prefer it warm!

What’s your go-to quickie meal?






Later x

4 comments:

  1. Cooking just has lost the fun for me lately. Lately being the last two years and I'm bored with the food in London. Each meal is a bit of a chore truth be told so I've been having soooo many take aways. Even breakfast. I'm trying but I can't seem to shift it and find inspiration food wise...I am trying to take a walk every day though!! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good evening Colleen! Definitely agree with u, is much better being busy than bored. You know, I still havent a go-to quick meal so yours is very inspiring. To be honest, I could taste quinoa only recently and I soon love it, I also enjoy the burgers made with it. Your dish looks appetizing, healthy and nutritional I definitely have to go for it soon, especially as quick meal after the gym. Hope u had a great weekend dear and enjoy your new week. Hugs! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Colleen. The recipe sounds easy to do and delicious. I really like Quinoa. Sometimes i have it for Breakfast - with Almondbutter and fresh Fruit.
    It´s very dangerous for me beeing hungry and in rush. it´s better for me is no Pizza Restaurante on my way. ;)
    Have some homemade meals in the frigerator is a good idee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a very nice week dear Colleen :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey....I'd love to see your comments, and given one of my pastimes is reading other people's blogs, I'd love for you to leave your URL if you have one too. Later xx