Sunday, May 15, 2016

BANANA & CASHEW MILKSHAKE

Whilst basking in the sunshine



Take a tour around my kitchen and you’ll notice some cupboard/fridge/freezer staples that could quite possibly throw me into all sorts of culinary turmoil if I suddenly realised I had run out of them. One of those staple foods is frozen banana; I always ensure that I have a small batch of frozen banana in the freezer ready for those planned or impulse moments when I have an appetite for some banana ice cream, a post-workout protein smoothie or a thick creamy milkshake. Compared to unfrozen banana, the frozen stuff makes for a really creamy and chilled end product, and let’s not forget that freezing makes good use of any near-black/overripe bananas (heaven forbid you throw away your black speckled bananas!), although I tend to just take two from whatever bunch I buy and chop them up into freezer bags straight away.

Apologies in advance to those of you who dislike milk and creamy textures - this is not a recipe post for you. I, on the other hand, love milky/creamy consistencies: pina colada or Baileys would be my alcoholic beverage of choice, ice-cream would be my preferred accompaniment to a dessert and, admittedly, a McDonalds milkshake always hits the spot on the rare occasion I have one!

I thought I’d post this simple milkshake because in the UK we have been fortunate enough to experience a few days of warm sunshine, which has seen me basking in the sunshine under the cherry blossom tree slurping on a variety of chilled and refreshing drinks (trying to dodge the blossoms floating into my drink); one of which is this banana and cashew milkshake, which tastes even better through a stripy coloured straw.


WHAT I USED (MAKES 1)
1.5 frozen bananas
150mls milk (I used cows milk but soya milk and nut milks work equally well)
2 Tbsp Plain natural yoghurt
1 teaspoon honey
25mls Orange juice
A handful of cashews

WHAT I DID
I use one of my other kitchen staples: the NutriBullet and blended all the ingredients together until smooth.









Later x

8 comments:

  1. Good evening Colleen! Oh, Im just as u, I really love milk/creamy consistencies so this recipe is just for me! Plus, I love milkshakes in general, cashew are also one of my fave nuts, I need to try it asap, I can almost taste from the pics!:) And I can also imagine u while basking in the sunshine, lol! Hope the weather keeps to be bright and sunny from u! HAve a good week Colleen! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cashews are actually my least favourite nut but I love them in smoothies and shakes! x

      Delete
  2. Odd thing about me and smoothies is that even though I get full i still eat after because my mind can't compute it is a meal or snack. I love cashews and apparently they are the nut that most people are least alleargic and intolerant to. But I like mine with maple syrup toasted. Oh well, I am half way there! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not odd at all, I could never drink liquid as my main meal - I need something to chew. I'd have this as a snack or as a dessert after my meal x

      Delete
  3. Dear Colleen, Bananas into the freezer is new for me. Thank your for this tips. I like Bananas and Shakes with this fruit. But since a short time i know, my stomach is inpatient of Bananas. It´s a pity, your recipe looks so delicous.
    Your Loafers looks also fantastic. I´m sure these shoes are very comfy. Have a great week dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooh noo how unfortunate that bananas don't agree with you! and yes all my flats are so comfy, just need to find some equally comfy heels ha ha x

      Delete
  4. Dear Colleen, won't write much because I was "lucky" enough to catch the bad swine flu. All aches. But I loved the banana and cashew nut milk shake (I love cashew nut) and strawberry McDonalds milkshake, too! If I only had taken more vitamins before, I could be stronger now :( I definitely need to change more :)
    DenisesPlanet.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh get well soon Denise, thanks for popping by when you are not well! x

      Delete

Hey....I'd love to see your comments, and given one of my pastimes is reading other people's blogs, I'd love for you to leave your URL if you have one too. Later xx