Sunday, June 19, 2016

MAKE YOUR OWN

How about grow your own


Frustratingly, there is, to some extent, a lack of consensus when it comes to health claims - particularly relating to diet - among those working in the food and nutrition world (i.e. nutritionists, nutritional therapists, dietitians, food bloggers); it’s not surprising the public feel confused rather than empowered about what they should be eating (“should I be eating more coconut oil and butter or what?”, I hear people scream”); however, where there does appear to be some accord is with the notion that home-cooked meals are far superior to convenience ready-meals (although in my opinion it depends what and how you are cooking) in terms of consuming a healthy, wholesome, nutritious diet.

I encourage my clients to experiment in the kitchen with making their own meals and I personally enjoy looking for recipe ideas in books and on the web/blogs, but one of the things I’d also like to start getting into is growing my own -  growing some of my own food! Having lived in an apartment for many years, there was never really any inclination to start growing my own food, but with now having a garden, I feel there’s room to introduce another pastime to my list.

I went to BBC Gardeners World Live at the Birmingham NEC this weekend in search of some inspiration for what I could grow easily in my back garden. The VegTrug Grow Your Own Stage described how we could make even the smallest spaces productive and tasty.
Do you home grow any of your ingredients?







Later x

7 comments:

  1. Good evening Colleen! YOu made me smile since is one of my hugest wish not having a garden, neither had one in my life. But my apt has a balcony and there I put some plants (little tomatoes, chives, lavander..just plain stuff) that made me that impression even though I wish I own something larger and complete. The BBC Gardeners World Live must have been amazing to visit, u look gorgeous dear! Have a good week ahead, hugs! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh yum it must smell lovely with the lavender! x

      Delete
  2. True, I always prefer home-cooked meals to ready ones, and more than that, the things I cook - cause I always say, I am a fussy eater, difficult to other people to know what to cook for me. I grow basil and pepper - but pepper just because it's beautiful, cause I don't eat that. I will start growing other herbs, it's so good! I am curious to see what you will grow! You look so beautiful at the BBC Gardeners World Live!
    DenisesPlanet.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a huge fan of pepper either but I agree they make gorgeous garden features with their vibrant colour. My mum grows basil too x

      Delete
  3. Dear Colleen, the most time I cook by my self. A recipe is a inspiration for my, but I like to created something new. May the recipe is with potatoes, but I do it with Pasta. I wish I had time for a little garden. But somethings I forget my plant in the livening room. ;)
    You a right, food that works for one is maybe not the best for others. So just try... :)
    Have a nice week dear Friend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha you made me laugh about the plant in the living room. My mum has had to rescue a few of my plants too hee hee! x

      Delete

Hey....I'd love to see your comments, and given one of my pastimes is reading other people's blogs, I'd love for you to leave your URL if you have one too. Later xx