Sunday, July 10, 2016

10 WAYS TO AVOID A SEDENTARY LIFESTYLE

without the need for a gym or lycra



I love working out: it wakes me up if I choose to exercise in the morning; it gives my skin a radiant glow; it benefits my health in more ways than one; and it makes my body feel toned and look better in my clothes. I wish I had more opportunities/time to don my activewear and get my sweat on, but alas, life sometimes just gets in the way and other things have to take priority. Nonetheless, I do try to fulfil the government’s recommendations for physical activity as outlined below:

*Adults should aim to be active daily. Over a week, activity should add up to at least 150 minutes (2½ hours) of moderate intensity activity in bouts of 10 minutes or more – one way to approach this is to do 30 minutes on at least 5 days a week

 *Alternatively, comparable benefits can be achieved through 75 minutes of vigorous intensity activity spread across the week or a combination of moderate and vigorous intensity activity

*Adults should also undertake physical activity to improve muscle strength on at least two days a week

*All adults should minimise the amount of time spent being sedentary (sitting) for extended periods

Unfortunately, I’m not sure how many people take note of the fourth recommendation; often people think that because they have done a 30 minute workout in the morning, they can get away with being sedentary - perhaps sitting at their office desk from 9-5pm – for the rest of the day, but this is just not the case. Research has suggested that remaining seated for too long is bad for your health, regardless of how much exercise you do. Studies have linked excessive sitting with being overweight and obese, type 2 diabetes, some types of cancer, and premature death, so we really need to look at ways to spend less time on our a$$!

Here are 10 ways to minimise your sedentary time throughout the day -  I refer to them as ‘Activities of Daily Living’:
**********************
1. Wherever possible, walk up the stairs or escalator instead of jumping in the lift or standing on the elevator

2. Try parking your car a little further from your destination and walk the rest of the way

3. Get off the bus, tube or train one stop earlier and walk the rest of the way

4. Use advert breaks on the TV as an excuse to get up and do something, whether it be going to the toilet or fetching something from upstairs or simply going to get a glass of water from the kitchen

5. Encourage staff in the workplace to plan a standing or walking meeting instead of sitting around a table for 1- 2 hours – it might only be for part of the meeting that you choose to do this

6. Take advantage of your breaks at work and instead of working through them, take a 5-10 minute walk

7. Swap some TV or computer time for more active tasks or hobbies such as gardening, walking, DIY

8. Stand or walk around while talking on the phone

9. If you are travelling short distances, consider standing on the train and bus

10. Take opportunities to find a slightly longer route to get to your destination, whether that be a shop, someone else’s office or a friend’s house

You don’t have to wear activewear for these activities, but I do love an excuse to wear my Forever 21 kit!
Wearing Forever 21 top and leggings





Later x

6 comments:

  1. Good evening Colleen! I do agree with u and u wont believe but this post happens to be in perfect time, Im just back from a night hike in the mountain near my city and it was a beautiful experience. Ur tips are perfect, I dont drive so I usually walk a lot and walk up the stairs instead of the elevator. Btw, u just look awesome in ur sporty suit, both top and leggings are very cool and so are u! Hugs xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! A night hike in the mountain - sounds lovely! X

      Delete
  2. Great Tips dear Colleen. I like doing sport. but at the moment i´m a little handicaped. i miss it much. So i try to walk more or ride bicycle .But even if i can do sport, i do some of your tips.
    You look fantastic at these pictures and in your sport-outfit. Pretty nice sport clothing give more motivation.
    Have a fantastic week dear Colleen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing worse than being injured when you are trying to maintain your workout routine - hope you recover soon! X

      Delete
  3. When I was away on holidays it's soooo easy to be active and go for a pre or post dinner walk but now I'm back and I'm sitting on my ass all the time. It's too cold or crowded and it just takes that much more effort. I appreciate your tips BC I should get off the previous tube and walk. I'm thinking of getting s Fitbit just so I have an aim...xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, sightseeing everyday helps to increase those steps! I think getting off a stop earlier is a good option and easy enough to incorporate into everyday life. Fit bits are fun and can be a great motivational tool when you see how little you do! X

      Delete

Hey....I'd love to see your comments, and given one of my pastimes is reading other people's blogs, I'd love for you to leave your URL if you have one too. Later xx