Sunday, July 03, 2016

5 EASY WAYS TO ENJOY ALMOND BUTTER

Or any nut butter for that matter



You’d be hard pushed to find a health & wellness enthusiast who doesn’t like nut butter; you only need to scroll through a #eatclean or #healthyeating feed to see the sheer number of social media influencers proclaiming their love for the stuff, and with good reason. Yes it tastes good, but with the main and only ingredient (with the exception of a pinch of sea salt) being nuts, it’s a great wholesome, nourishing food to add to your diet: it contains healthful monounsaturated fats which can benefit heart health, and protein and fibre which, among other benefits, can lead to greater satiation keeping you feeling fuller for longer.

Unfortunately, if you’re an avid fan of nut butters like many others, it’s health benefits are not a licence for you to gorge your way through a whole jar; in just two tablespoons you’ll consume nearly 200 calories so ‘moderation’ is key. On the other hand, for people who are trying to gain weight this can be a useful ingredient to help boost your calories.

My first experience of nut butters was not a great one. I had tried peanut butter for the first time and vetoed the idea of ever including it in my diet because I simply thought it tasted disgusting, but then they started introducing other varieties on to the market and I have to say I can’t get enough of almond butter - that’s definitely my favourite of all the nut butters! When making your choice, be sure to avoid any over-processed versions that may include other added ingredients such as sugar and butter, or even better you could try making it yourself; there are plenty of easy, homemade nut butter recipes on the web.

So how can you incorporate nut butter into your diet? Here are my top 5 personal favourite ways to add almond butter into my dietary regime. Apologies in advance to anyone who can't stand nut butters, however, if you have never tried them, I hope I have introduced you to something that can complement a healthy, balanced diet.

****************************

1. On fresh fruit - a slice of Granny Smith apple (of course it can be any variety of apple, in fact any kind of fruit) dipped in almond butter - thank me later if you have a sweet tooth

2. Blended into a smoothie/shake - take a spoonful of almond butter and blend it with milk, frozen banana and yoghurt

3. On your favourite starch - try spreading it on toast, oatcakes, cracker breads or your homemade banana bread

4. On your cereal - just add a dollop to your breakfast cereal or porridge

5.  As a dressing - make a delicious, thick and creamy nutty dressing to drizzle over your summer salads: try mixing a tablespoon of nut butter with  2 tablespoons of olive oil, 2 tablespoons of water, salt and the juice of half a lemon

How do you like yours.............?






Later x

4 comments:

  1. Good evening Colleen! Apologize in advance because Im sure u will be shocked but I never tried almond butter, to be honest I dont think I ever have seen it on market so it must be little difficult to find, need to make it by myself 'cause I am a nut butter lover, in fact, I just love the peanut one, which is easier to find here. Btw, all the ways u listed are so interesting and yummy, definitely have to try them! Hope u have a good week ahead dear, hugs! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, your 5 ways to enjoy almond butter came just right. At weekend, I clean up my kitchen an found a full jaw of almond butter and I thought it's time to eat it. I use this butter for cooking and my porridge. Now I have more inspiration.
    A little jaw of almond butter is very expensive in Germany, this is a pity. May I should try to do it by my self.
    Dear Colleen, I wish you a fantastic week. Hope you have sun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guess, what, dear Colleen, the junk food lover that's me, chose number 3 as a way to include nut butter in my life - I never heard of almond butter before, and I want to try it now! OK, as you said, moderation is key here, I know. It's important for me to think of that, because when I like something very much, I tend to eat half a jar of that :) I don't dislike peanut butter completely - but I am not a big fan either. I want to try this almond butter, because it can be very good to my health and a nice way to add important things to my body - and in a delicious way! Thank you so much for showing it!
    DenisesPlanet.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never tried almond butter either but love the sound of the salad dressing :)

    ReplyDelete

Hey....I'd love to see your comments, and given one of my pastimes is reading other people's blogs, I'd love for you to leave your URL if you have one too. Later xx